This is a repost of a BLOG I published in June 2009. Hope it helps!
REMOVING THE KOOBFACE WORM
« on: June 22, 2009, 06:57:10 PM »
What is it?
Koobface.gen!D is a Worm that is roaming the INBOXs of MySpace and Facebook Members.
How does it work?
You receive a message from one of your friends in your INBOX with a link that says something crazy like “look at my homevideo”. You click on this link, and you download the WORM.
What are some symptoms?
2) Your anti-virus going nuts trying to eliminate other worms, viruses and trojans (seen this a lot on Symantec AV)
3) All of your friends receive the same message in their Inbox and wonder why you want them to view your Amateur Porn Video.
4) Facebook – Random posting and/or SPAM on your WALL
5) Many, many other symptoms
What will Koobface do to me?
2) Downloads more worms, viruses and trojans
3) Sends SPAM and Infections to all of your MySpace and Facebook friends
4) Steal your private data from your computer
5) Can allow hackers to take over your computer
How do I PREVENT from getting KOOBFACE?
1) Most Important: READ THE SUBJECT LINE OF EVERY FACEBOOK/MYSPACE INBOX MESSAGE. If it looks suspicious, DELETE IT!
2) Keep Anti-Virus & FIREWALLS up to date.
3) Install your WINDOWS and other software Updates regularly
4) Be careful what you CLICK…
HOW DO I GET RID OF KOOBFACE?
Please note that these are only suggestions and I would recommend contacting professional computer help. HOWEVER, if you want some FREE Advice and want to know what I did to get rid of KOOBFACE, then pull up a chair.
1) Microsoft has a Malicious Software Removal Tool. Follow this link: http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx or go to GOOGLE and start typing Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool.
2) Scroll Down until you see the “WINDOWS LIVE SAFETY SCANNER”. CLICK
3) Click the PROTECTION SCAN Button.
4) Follow the directions as prompted by the website. The scan will then begin.
*NOTE: This Scan took me about 60 – 90 minutes to complete.
5) Follow the recommendations offered after the scan. You do not need to purchase Windows Live to use this tool.
For more information on KOOBFACE go to the Microsoft site by following this link:
|« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 07:02:46 PM by wallyd2 »|